This really yummy rice is so easy to make!
This particular day the only thing that went as planned was that the flank steak I stuck in the crock pot was done on time. When I'm flavoring meat for the crock pot, I've started to make my own seasoning mixes to cut down on preservatives in our diet. I used this recipe to flavor the meat. Beyond that, I had no idea what I was going to do with it.
This was one of those moments when you stand in front of the fridge with the doors open, and just wait for inspiration to hit.
This one was a winner. I used up lots of the fresh produce that we had received earlier in the week and it was healthy and filling.
It's even better the next day once the flavors have had time to soak into the rice. Rice salads are really great for hot days during the summer, and last minute meals. They're quick and easy to throw together, and you can make wraps for lunches with the leftovers.
For the rice salad you need:
- three cups of brown rice, cooked and cooled
- 1 1/2 lbs of beef cooked and flavored as you would fajita meat
- 1/2 a basket of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped
- 1 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 2 cups of grated mozzarella cheese
- zest of 1 lime
Next make your dressing.
For the dressing you need:
- juice of one lime
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- dash of salt
- 1 tbsp minced cilantro
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
This one I'm keeping in my summer recipe collection!